We are here to give you the top best backpack sprayer reviews that help you to start with proper gardening. All these backpack sprayers are suitable for a different kind of use, easy to maintain, use, and clean. We only need a sprayer to clean different types of bugs, pests, weeds, fungus, and more in our garden. Also, it uses for turfs to fertilize the garden, trees, or greenhouse. From gardeners to house owners, they need this garden gear for daily or occasional use. You can use it for your yard or backyard for maintaining its lush beauty.
A sprayer allows you to spray hard to reach places without any help. It helps to keep your garden, yard, and home bugs free. That is why the demand for a handy backpack sprayer is hard to explain. Furthermore, you don’t need to be professional to use this tool. It’s easy to use and easy to maintain by following a few instructions. There are many types of sprayers available in the market. All the models and their quality vary in type work and usability.
With great features and longevity, a backpack sprayer can be your best garden partner. It takes good care of your garden, home, and lawn after you. With the budget, your backpack sprayer should be easy to carry, easy to fill and easy to operate. You can even look for some other customized or unique characteristics in this handy tool. Day by day, manufacturers are improving their technology of sprayers. Thus, do the models are developing as well. So, you better check all the details before having this great garden equipment.
- 1 What is a Best Backpack Sprayer?
- 2 Top Picks Best Backpack Sprayer of 2020
- 2.1 1. Chapin 61900 4-Gallon Backpack Sprayer
- 2.2 2. Chapin 61500 4-Gallon Euro Style Backpack Sprayer
- 2.3 3. Field King Professional Backpack Sprayer
- 2.4 4. Smith Performance No Leak Backpack Sprayer
- 2.5 5. Solo 425 4- Gallon Pro Piston Backpack Sprayer
- 2.6 6. Hudson 4 Gallon Battery Operated Sprayer
- 2.7 7. Roundup 190327 No Leak Pump Backpack Sprayer
- 2.8 8. Smith Performance Sprayers R200 2-Gallon Sprayer
- 3 Some Benefits of Using a Backpack Sprayer
What is a Best Backpack Sprayer?
A backpack spray is one kind of portable sprayer. It uses to spray a chemical on the garden, trees, turf, etc. to get rid of weeds, pest or any type of inflectional diseases. The backpack sprayer is a lightweight of the plastic box attached with sprayer or nozzle. You can carry it in your back or side so you can get close to the treat, bushes and can target small or large points. Sprayers get filled with harmful chemicals, so they need to be safe and secure. In that case, backpack sprayers are reliable and straightforward to use.
Backpack sprayers come with two types- manual and electric battery powered. Besides, it also comes with sub-type diaphragm and piston. The advanced level of backpack spreaders comes with improved accuracy and controlling features. Moreover, they have included new comfortable and sturdy straps. That helps to distribute equal weight to your shoulder blades so you can work with it for a long time with comfort.
Parts of a Backpack Sprayer
- Nozzle Boom
- Protective vest
- Pressure chamber
- Handgun filter, assy
- Valve plate
- Repair kit and much more.
Top Picks Best Backpack Sprayer of 2020
You will find a low to a high budget of backpack sprayers with different types of features. We didn't go for cheap quality produces which are not durable or good for work. This product demands a pretty much price due to its functionality and other options. So, keeping all these things in mind, here we have selected some backpack sprayers for all types of users.
12 x 7 x 7
17.2 x 9.8 x 18
9.5 x 22.5 x 15
22.5 x 15 x 9.5
21 x 10 x 15
23 x 16 x 8
15 x 22.5 x 9.5
20.75 x 9.75 x 8
Today, we have selected the most affordable backpack sprayers as well. So that every type of user can find their “ideal backpack sprayer.” You can find the top-rated garden sprayer with reviews below:
1. Chapin 61900 4-Gallon Backpack Sprayer
Our first review is for Chapin 61900 4-Gallon Tree and Turf Backpack Sprayer. Chapin has a lot of ergonomic model for their hand or backpack sprayer. The Chapin Backpack Sprayer is the latest model. It's beginning to become popular to different types of users already. This sprayer has a four-gallon poly-tank with a big mouth for the opening. The capacity is pretty good for small to large areas. But, this 4-inch opening mouth is good for easy filling too.
This backpack sprayer filter has a triple filtration system that can prevent clogging. You can remove the filter and clean if there is too much chemical deposit on the tank though. Furthermore, this sprayer has a pressure gauge with a cushion grip shut-off. It has three nozzles for different types of works. It’s easy to check the pressure with the pressure gauge on the shut-off. Besides, its Viton seal provides compatibility with pesticides fertilizers and weed killers.
Its translucent poly-tank is good for viewing of fluid level. So, you don’t need to open the tank to check every time. Besides, it's also leak-free, even the chemical you are going to with the take will not damage it.
The Chapin Sprayer is suitable for any landscaper, homeowner and turf professionals. It works well with fungicides as well. So you can keep your boat looking clean and fresh whenever it out of the river. These backpack sprayers come with two padded straps for convenient wearing. These padded straps are good in supporting your shoulders. But, they are a little stiff, thus, not so comfortable to wear.
- Suitable to use for any fertilizer, weed or pesticides.
- Wide opening mouth for add/removing chemical or cleaning.
- 4-gallon translucent tank is great for cover a large area to spraying.
- Triple filtration system with removable and cleanable filter.
- Very affordable in price.
- The harness is little hard to work with the sprayer for a long time.
- The pumping want doesn't always stay away.
In general, Chapin 61900 is a good backpack sprayer for all gardeners or homeowners. It’s affordable, very durable, and easy to clean. So, for most hassle-free versatile performance, this backpack sprayer is good for use.
2. Chapin 61500 4-Gallon Euro Style Backpack Sprayer
Here is another backpack sprayer from Chapin. The Chapin 61500 Euro Style is also great for spraying fertilizers, pesticides, and weeds. This 4- gallon Sprayer has a double filtration system to keep the chemical derbies free. On the filter works when the filter is working and even its shut down. So every time you work with a sprayer, the chemical stays pure and fresh, ready to work.
This backpack sprayer is very well made and built to stay for last. It requires about ten minutes to assemble and take less than five minutes to disassemble all. Besides, it has a pressure gauge with a cushion grip shut off feature. It's two different nozzle works for a different kind of work. You can check the pressure while spraying and controlling it your own way. The pressure works for spraying light of high power. It has a seal that provides balancing compatibility with different types of chemicals.
This backpack sprayer has the translucent poly-tank that is right with chemical reaction. It survives for any chemical or organic solution and stays leakage free. This tank is also suitable for viewing the liquid level. So that you don’t need to check the liquid whenever you are going to use the sprayer. For comfortable carrying this sprayer also comes with two shoulders traps. These padded straps are good for distributing the weight all over your back. Including the liquid and other accessories of the sprayers' weight increase a lot. But you will be less awake while wearing and working with the sprayer.
- The sprayer is excellent for cover a large area for spraying chemicals without refilling.
- Assembling in minimum time is easy.
- It requires very low maintenance.
- The sprayer comes with affordable price.
- Its shoulder straps are comfortable to wear a long time.
- The sprayer is needed to pump often.
- Poor instruction manual.
The Chapin 61500 4-Gallon has another option that will make your maintenance easier. It has replacement parts available in the market. So, you can buy them from direct local stores or buy them from online. All users, pro or novice will find the backpack sprayer useful.
3. Field King Professional Backpack Sprayer
The Field King Pro backpack sprayer comes with a safe, no leak pump. So, the tank liquid will never drip down in your back or pants. The Field King Professional Backpack Sprayer has high-quality Viton seals. The gaskets also provide chemical resistance. It has a lockable shut-off system with its filters and brass fitting components. This pump is good for keeping the chemical derbies free. It also has a large opening filtration basket. This will help to filter unnecessary dirt away from the tank while filling. Also, its easy access pump allows the user to change the seals in a few minutes without requires of any tools.
The sprayer includes four nozzles, two flat fans, a brass adjustable, and a foaming nozzle. This unit is suitable for using with Teejet nozzles too. So if one nozzle broke you have lots of options to use another. But, the sprayer has an inner pressure chamber that can reach 150 PSI max. This pressure limit is 65% more than any other sprayer which has a diaphragm pump. Another great feature is its built-in agitator handles liquids, powders, and water-soluble solutions. The in-house pump-action activates the inner paddles. This is to keep all the chemicals in a solution mixed and ready to spray.
This backpack sprayer has a reversible hand which is suitable for left or right-hand use. Its one-way valve prevents any slippage if the tank gets inverted. Also, its threaded bolt provides high security with its non-slip handle attachment. Compared to other products where the traditional cotter pins get used most of the time. This one gives better service on slippage. Yet, it’s very high and comes with a carry handle for storage.
- Its patented pump design construction has 60 less high wear parts and repairable without any types of equipment.
- Its metal nozzle lasts longer than any plastic nozzle.
- The shoulders strap is comfortable and makes easier to carry the sprayer.
- Suitable to use with Teejet nozzles.
- Need continuous pump while spraying.
- The sprayer needs more storage if you keep the wand horizontally as advertised.
In general, the Field King Professional 190328 is a perfect backpack sprayer. It is trouble-free and easy solution for spraying the chemical. The backpack sprayer is easy to assemble and no tools needed for constructing it. Another most important feature is it's leakage-free. The easy spraying capacity makes it more attractive. So with that said, it’s quality construction and performance worth your every dollar.
4. Smith Performance No Leak Backpack Sprayer
Smith Performance No Leak Backpack Sprayer is another best backpack sprayer. It's built to work hard and stay until the end. The Smith Performance Sprayer is for professional use and makes your job easier more. This sprayer has no leakage pump which is perfect for using extensive landscaping. Most of the cheap backpack sprayer has the leakage problem more or less. They are either caused by chemical reactions or loss fitting of other attachments. But not with this one. After pouring the chemical, attach the mouth tight. It will spray neat and clean without running your clothes.
The sprayer from Smith Performance has more than 3 x life cycles. It's without any critical failure compared to any other backpack sprayers. It comes with some repair parts like broad and narrow fan nozzle, adjustable brass nozzle, and so on. The backpack sprayer is also compatible with Tee Jet nozzles as well. So, you have all the options for usual and high-speed chemical spraying.
Furthermore, with no tools required for this sprayer, it only needs low maintenance. It does not mean that this one comes with a chemical solution for cleaning the tank and nozzles. You only need water to clean it. After completing your work, you need to detach the parts and soak them in regular water. After 10-20 min later, wash them with gentle scrubbing and lots of water. No detergent, liquid soap, or chemicals needed for cleaning this sprayer.
- All the attachments are real easy to assemble in short time.
- Good for covering a large area without refilling.
- It is very durable and comfortable body harness.
- The pumps work great as it advertises- no leakage problems at all.
- Quality materials and well-made construction are good for long run.
- Need lots of pumping for continuous spraying.
- The backpack sprayer is too much pricey.
All in all, it’s a great quality backpack sprayer that will be ideal for any home or commercial usage. This sprayer is very easy to use and requires almost zero maintenance. Apart from the pumping problem, the Smith Performance Sprayers NL400 will be the best one to have.
5. Solo 425 4- Gallon Pro Piston Backpack Sprayer
Here is another manual backpack sprayer which also comes with a 4-gallon capacity. The Smith Performance Sprayer R200 2-Gallon Compression has many useful features. It has high pressure, ultraviolet resistant tank, pressure cylinder, and a reversible pump wand. Its high-pressure pump can reach up to 90 PSI which is suitable for spraying a large area at a time. Also, this highest feature is suitable to reach taller trees or bushes not going closer to them.
Besides, its long wand is pretty helpful on this large spraying coverage. Most of the backpack sprayer reviews you will found the wand length not more than 21 inches. But, the Solo is different here from others. It brings 28 inches long wand. The wand is sturdy enough to work for a long time.
The backpack sprayer is made of high-grade corrosion-resistant plastic. Also, it’s completely safe to use with any chemical or liquid. So, you can use any disinfectants, fertilizer, herbicides, and pesticides. Also, formulation for tree, turf, plants or even protection wooden wall, roof or floors. This sprayer can protect your greenhouse, garden or lawn without much tank refilling. It's UV resistant high-density polyethylene tank is light. It's also strong enough to stay good at any temperature or with any chemical.
Furthermore, its 4.25-inch opening mouth allows you easy filling and cleaning facility. The tank will give a little visible marking of the chemical level inside like other tanks. But, it’s still good to observe once in a while.
- Suitable to reach up to 25 ft up when used with jet stream nozzle.
- Provides a good balances performance with the pressure pump and wand.
- Easy to operate and easy to clean.
- Large opening mouth for easy cleaning and refilling.
- Can produce up to 90 PSI to perform every spraying task.
- Poor quality back straps.
- Expensive backpack sprayer.
Furthermore, this best backpack sprayer has come with one year of limited warranty. If it needs repairing, you can fix it with the help of some tools which are available in any hardware stores. It’s one of the sturdy sprayers from The Solo brand, is a bit pricey, but good for using for an extended period of time.
6. Hudson 4 Gallon Battery Operated Sprayer
If you think the hand pumping sprayers frustrating, then we have a better option for you. The Hudson 13854 Never Pump Bak-Pak 4 Gallon Sprayer will save your time from pumping. The backpack sprayer needs to charge for hours and works without recharging again. One it's charged, it's good to work for the next ten hours. That means it has enough power to drain a 4-gallon tank several times. Furthermore, the battery of Hudson 13854 has the capability at full 60 PSI strength. So, as the charge decreases it won’t reduce the pressure of the tank.
Another good side of this backpack sprayer is it good on use as a mist. Many sprayers are so powerful that is good for spraying large trees are or reaching above the trees. But, it's also very harsh with small plants, flowers or bulbs. The Hudson 13854 is more gentle with that. It’s powerful enough to penetrate fertilizer or chemical in the plants but won’t damage them.
When you are using it, it’s better to remember that the liquid inside the tank does not get pressurized. Meaning, don’t empty the tank, so the motor needs to use more energy to supply the chemical though wand. It will drain too much energy and weaken the battery. So when you are in the middle of the job, add more liquid so the tank can’t go empty. Not all time you remember this method but try it often to extend the battery life.
- Includes four different sprayer setting with its nozzle system- cone, long-reach, dual cone, and fan.
- It comes with 12 months of warranty service.
- Large poly on/off valve for the fast thumb is operating.
- With one single charge is usable for an extended period (600 min).
- Take very less time to spray a large are at a time.
- Enough force to penetrate chemicals/ fertilizer without damaging them.
- Needs 9 hours for completely charge the battery.
- The price of the product is very high.
- Overweight sprayer which makes it uncomfortable to carry while loaded.
This backpack sprayer also features a heavy translated tank. It also has a 72-inch non-kinking hose for easy reach and 20- inch long fiberglass spray wand. Thus, it’s a great all-purpose serve backpack sprayer that anyone will be happy to work with.
7. Roundup 190327 No Leak Pump Backpack Sprayer
Here is another hand pumping backpack sprayer with efficient performance. The Roundup 190327 Backpack Sprayer has durable translated plastic and heavy-duty metal. It's translated tank is very durable and useful with any type of chemical. It won’t react with any kind of chemical or liquid that we use in backpack sprayers.
This sprayer does the work of a diaphragm or piston sprayer. It features the Viton seal that you can change within minutes without using any tools. This seal is also famous for secure the liquid inside the tank. Its special shut-off system offers a comfortable grip and lockable trigger. It helps to prevent hand fatigue.
Its removable in-line filter keeps the chemical out of derbies and prevents clogging. This backpack sprayer can spray up to 150 PSI. This pressure is good for reaching hard to reach places, unlike with your old sprayers. But you don’t always need to use this much of high pressure. This sprayer’s regulator maintains a low but continuous 25 PSI. This is very good for weed killers and herbicides.
The best backpack sprayer from Roundup has handle reverses for left or right-hand use. Many sprayers don’t have this feature. They usually make right-handed handles for everyone which gives trouble to left-handed users. Also, this folding capacity gives an advantage while storing it in a small place. This product has a metal base for keeping the tank stable or in level on the ground. This external feature is also useful when you bind it with a belt with yourself while wearing it. For security and comfort, it has flexible padded shoulder straps, waist belt, and chest cinch straps.
- Comes with durable and chemical resistant 21- inch poly wand.
- The sturdy metal base which keeps it stable on the ground.
- Lockable shut-off in line filter.
- Features four nozzles- poly adjustable, foaming nozzle and two flat fans.
- Suitable for using with Tee Jet nozzles.
- Bullet Point 2
- Leaks sometimes while spraying.
- The pressure fluctuates a bit when it gets older.
- Bullet Point 1
- Bullet Point 2
The backpack sprayer comes with a mid-range price. So, the quality of the product is much reliable compared to other cheaper sprayers. It requires low maintenance but good for spraying a lot of areas at a time. If you could give it proper maintenance, it will last for a long time.
8. Smith Performance Sprayers R200 2-Gallon Sprayer
Our final backpack sprayer review is for another model from Smith Performance sprayer. Those who need smaller capacity tank sprayer can try this Smith Performance Sprayer. This sprayer is good for homeowners or gardeners who need a small area to cover for spraying. It might have a small tank, but other features are the same. Even with the professionals and high capacity backpack sprayers. It also has a 21 inches long poly lining stainless steel wand.
This steel wand gets attached to a tank with premium Viton seals. This will prevent leakage or any kind of chemical reaction. It has another feature for protecting the wand nozzle from dripping. Its teardrop shape base extension creates a lower center of gravity. Thus, to keep the base stable which offers nozzle storage for the wand.
The leakage-free pump also has the ability of 25% fewer pumps per gallon. It's better compared to other sprayers. So, like any other sprayer, you don’t need to bother with one hand spraying or get your hands involved in pumping. So, you can say it's energy-saving and time-efficient too.
The backpack sprayer is easy to assemble also. Besides, if you need to change the pump seal, you can do that without the need for any extra tools. Follow the instruction manual and use the provided tools with your sprayer.
- This backpack sprayer is easy to put together within few minutes.
- The size of the sprayers is very ergonomic, easy to carry and work.
- The manufacturer offers a limited warranty with every purchase.
- Required low maintenance and simple to clean.
- The body of the sprayer made of translated plastic which easier for visible marking.
- The price is high for a 2- gallon sprayer.
- Not suitable for covering a large area.
If you are sick of cheap backpack sprayer, then Smith Performance Sprayer might be a good choice. Those who need a small size backpack sprayer, this one is way better than any others. It is easy to use, assemble, and repair. So, anyone both amateur and professional users will happy to have this.
Some Benefits of Using a Backpack Sprayer
The sprayer is for controlling pests and weed to maintain the natural growth of your plants. Improved backpack sprayers have their versatile design and technology. This made them more efficient and easy to use.
- Backpack sprayers are reliable, light, efficient to use. It offers a dependable performance that other professional vast applicators can’t.
- Backpack sprayers are efficient compared to other sprayers. It’s easy to carry and no need extra help to operate it. Its easy function lets any people with basic knowledge to work with.
- This garden tool doesn't need too much attention to take care of. Usually, it doesn't have too much function or tools so, repairing or maintenance is much easier with it. Most of the time, manufacturers provide spare parts when customers buy the product. If any other things needed, you can buy them from your local hardware stores. And if you are lucky enough to get a warranty with your sprayer, then repairing will get solved by the seller. But, of course, within the warranty period.
- This sprayer comes with both power options. If you choose the manual, then you can use it anytime in your small garden, greenhouse or trees. Battery operated is more efficient and useful for saving time, energy and work. This sprayer can work for hours of continuous use on a single charge.
- High sturdy backpack sprayers have the ability to achieve spray large mists. So, even if you are standing on the ground, you will cover an extreme height to spray chemicals.
- Not only the fertilizer or pesticides, but a sprayer is also using for maintaining your house. Like killing the weeds or keep the wooden furniture, wall, roof, etc. fungus free. Sometimes its use for paste control in your house.
- Backpack sprayers are reusable. So it will save your cost too. They come with soft padded, sturdy shoulder straps so very comfortable to work with.
Some Drawback of Backpack Sprayers
It’s a great piece of equipment for spraying chemicals. But, it does not mean it’s a full-proof thing without any drawbacks. It has some downside which will give you some trouble with work. Before using or buying a backpack sprayer, take a look at these important things too.
A backpack sprayer has some basic stuff. Such as a tank, wand, filter tape, shoulder straps, chest belt, pump handle, and so on. If you are using a battery-powered sprayer, then batteries are there, but the hand pump is not. A 4-gallon sprayer weights with this entire thing around 10- 18 lbs including the chemical. If you are working with a large area, you have to carry all this weight for a long time until the work gets done. That is pretty much stressful. You have some other options low or high capacity. But still, it’s hard when you are working with it for hours.
This garden tool is for lightweight chemicals like water solution, pesticides, and others. You cannot use the sprayer to spray such things like viscous, it's only for coating your car, garage, etc.
Many sprayers have this problem more or less. After starting the work, your sprayer could drip chemicals on your backside or legs. So beware of that running your clothes and skin.
Factors To Select For Buying A Backpack Sprayer
What do you want into your backpack sprayer? It is more control or the capacity or kind of both. A good sprayer is useful when you are spraying in different types of trees, plants, and bushes. When spraying fertilizers in your greenhouse, the spraying pressure must not be harsh. Plants like strawberries or any flower plants need extra care when spraying chemicals. Otherwise, it will ruin their sensitive parts like flowers, bulb or new leaves. Also, when you have a garden where different types of apple trees filled with fruits.
Sometimes, trees get infected with fungus and you want to use fungicide in your garden. Here, you will need the high pressure of spring, so all the trees will cover with the chemical solution. You can climb trees or use a ladder to reach the top of the trees. Spring, like the mist that we discussed in the strawberry garden won't work here. So, controlling is an essential factor for any sprayer.
The next thing that comes is capacity. It depends on the area or how many trees or plants you have and how often you use them. Some factors like weight, harness, wand, power option, maintenance features are also important. But first, you need to figure out your expectations. Here are simple factors to consider before going to pick a good quality backpack sprayer. Such as:
Usually, they come with square, rectangular and some other customized shape and design. The design of the tank is pretty much simple and easy to assemble with its accessories. So, look for which one best suits with your work of test.
Backpack sprayers are usually made of high-density material and completely chemical resistant. They should last for 5-10 years. But, be sure your sprayer comes with warranty service. It's provided by the manufacturer when you buy the sprayer. Also, check out the parts availability or repairing option as well.
Most backpack sprayers come with a flat spray, hollow cone, jet stream nozzle, and shoulder straps. Some sprayers also include screens and filters that help keep the debris or dirt out from the nozzle. Moreover, the gaskets, O-ring, etc. work for chemical resistance. Another important feature of the sprayer is pressure tolerance. The higher the pressure is, the better. But the 15, 30, 45 or 60 psi is suitable for most of the work.
Budget & Price
Backpack sprayers are a bit pricey. So, if you a great quality sprayer, consider selecting backpack sprayers between 90 to 120. But if you don’t want to spend a lot of money on your sprayer, try the first one, or go for some small budget sprayers. Some sprayers are between 30 to 80 dollars with excellent features and facilities. Some of them do offer warranty services as well. In this article, we have selected both affordable and expensive backpack sprayers. So, every type of user can find their “ideal backpack sprayer.”
Capacity depends on your working area or hour of working. Most 4-gallon sprayers are more popular among gardeners. But, if you need a large capacity sprayer, you can go for other options as well.
A sprayer especially a backpack sprayer is a useful tool to maintain your garden, house, and lawn. It’s a practical tool to spray a chemical on your trees, garden, and turf and save the greenery, fruits, and flower. Usually, a sprayer requires less time and maintenance compared to their service. The best backpack sprayer should easy to assemble and comfortable to carry on. Also, capacity is very important before considering one of these.
I hope you got some good ideas from this article. And if you are lucky enough you will find your backpack sprayer reviews from here. You can find more garden tools and reviews from our website.