A Grow Room Setup Designs: Step By Step Guide
Last Updated on April 21, 2022 by Gary Stephen
Make sure that the room in which you are planning to set up is close to the water and electrical supply.
- Cleaning the room is important. You need to disinfect the walls and floors to avoid pests and diseases. Also, remove any sort of carpet type material as mold and dust can make it their home.
- Put the pots in a tray. So that when you water, spillage will not be a factor. The floor of the room must be a hard floor. This way you can clean in an easier way by mopping the floor.
Steps For A Grow Room Setup:
You need to follow a set of steps for getting started with a grow room setup. If you follow them in a correct manner, then you are able to maximize the use of space. Also, you will produce more. And if the production increases your cost will also go down. The steps are as follows.
Design of the room
Before you start to buy the equipment, it is important that you design or layout the entire setup. You need to calculate how much space you need. Create a blueprint. This helps to maximize the use of space. Figure out how much electricity it will need. That way you can avoid any sort of fire disaster. Watering the plant is important. So, the plumbing system should support the setup design you are planning.
Marijuana is a crop that needs warmth and humid to grow in a proper way. So, the room you will select should not contain any type of furniture, curtains and so on. These would attract pests, molds or other things that can invite diseases. Empty the whole room.
Material and equipment you need
Try to list all the things you need. This way when you go out buying you will not miss any important item. To have the basic setup you need different items and they are:
If the room is not completely dark the plants will force themselves to become male plants. The yield of the crop will reduce if they become male plants. So darkness is an important factor for grow room setup. Since it needs complete darkness, you can use light leaks to ensure this. Seal with opaque tapes in any place that is leaking in light from outside. To find any leakage turn off your grow room light. You will see light if there is any leak. If there is any window, cover it up.
You need reflective surfaces to make sure that the plants get enough light. This will help to improve the yield of the crop. You can adopt these few items.
- Mylar: It is the most reflective item available in the market. They can reflect over 95% of light. Mylar comes in different forms. You would want to buy the one that’s made of aluminum. Put them up on the walls with the help of tapes. Lay them flat so that it reflects better. If touched too many times, there are chances it may tear. So, try to avoid too much contact with it.
- Flat white paint: If you are trying to save money then this is a great option for grow room setup. It can reflect up to 85% of the light which is pretty much a big amount. The paint has little to no light-absorbing properties. This helps to create no hotspot.
- Emergency blankets: These are one of the cheapest reflective items that you can buy. They are available in many camping shops. They can reflect up to 70%. You can use this if you have a very small room. Try to hang the flat ones on the walls. If there are any crinkles, you will waste light. Also, there are chances that it may develop hotspot which can hamper the plants.
For a grow room, you need different lights that are not normal household lights. The bulbs should provide a full spectrum of light. You can select from these few ones.
- Compact fluorescent lights: You can use these when you are planting the seeds. They do not produce much light.
- High-pressure sodium lights: They produce a lot of light in the orange spectrum. This is best in the flowering phase.
- Metal halide lights: They produce a lot of light in the blue spectrum. This is best in the vegetation phase.
- LED lights: The best led grow lights is an important garden tool for grow room setup. They produce a lot of light. And they are energy efficient. They do not get too hot which means you can place them closer to the plants without harming them. These lights are best for both the flowering and vegetation phases.
Installing lights is very important. They need a hood so that the lights can focus on the plants in a direct manner. High-pressure sodium lights and metal halide lights are hot. They need hoods that can cool down fast. LED lights are generally cool so they do not need a cooling hood.
This timer comes handy to turn on and off the lights. To help the seeds to start flowering you need to 12 hours of light. After that, you need to turn it off. There are chances you may forget to do it. So, with an electrical timer, you can avoid this sort of risk. You can set the timer and the machine will do its work.
You need the circulation of air to remove heat from the room. If there is good ventilation, the plant will get proper CO2. You can control the humidity and reduce the smell of the plants. Good ventilation helps to reduce disease problems. You can buy these items for a grow room setup.
- Oscillating fan: It helps to circulate air in the room. This way you are able to avoid hotspots inside the room. The airflow will help the plants to grow healthy.
- Carbon filter: Marijuana releases an odor that is not nice. Try to install a carbon filter with an exhaust fan. This will help reduce or even eliminate the smell.
- Exhaust fan: It is important to replace the air in the room. So, you need a good exhaust fan that has a high CFM rating. This will ensure that the air is replaced every 2 to 3 minutes. You need to calculate the cubic area of the room to buy the one you need. Also, keep in mind the traveling area of the air.
- Air intake: The exhaust fan will blow out the old air. So, now you need new air to enter the room. This, you can achieve by drilling tiny holes in the wall or door). There are chances that the holes might not be enough. In this case, air intakes come handy. They will pull in the new air inside the room.
Thermometer, humidity meter, and pH meter
A marijuana plant grows at a certain temperature and humidity and pH range. Installing these items will help you provide the perfect environment for the plants.
Marijuana grows well at a certain pH level. You can use tap water. But it is wise to make sure that the pH of the water is between 5.8 to 7. The water should not carry too many minerals or else it may hamper the plants. If the pH of the water is low, you can add lime or ashes from wood to increase it. If the pH is higher, then sulfur or phosphoric acid will do the trick. There are chances that the water in your area contains too many minerals. You can always filter it and then use it on the plants.
Should I grow my marijuana indoors or outdoors?
Growing your plants indoors, such as in the tent we’ve discussed, can have advantages for your plants as you will be able to control the lighting, regulate the room temperature, keep an eye on the soil and check the air circulation. Growing marijuana indoors can also be beneficial as it will allow you to reap more than one harvest.
Finally, I would say that you need to follow the above steps for a grow room setup. This will 100% improve the crop yield. I would suggest that you buy the best grow tent with LED lights, as they are more convenient. You do not have to buy different lights for every phase. Another suggestion is to avoid buying any type of tin foil or aluminium paper. They reflect only 55% which is not enough for the marijuana plants.
Also, there is a chance that the foils may catch fire due to hotspots. Moreover, if the foil is crinkled then you will waste light. Try to buy Mylar as they are the most reflective ones. All these garden tools are important for a grow room. They are all readily available on the market. So, do not sit back. Have your own grow room.